Friday, November 4, 2011

November 7, 2011

Politics and what's going on in the world ...like no my insular, tiny world of living in Toronto and going to school ..but there REAL world, the big picture, is almost completely lost on me..and my generation. I sat down and watched 60 Minutes this week and it was complete gibberish. I feel like I'm so far behind on the happenings of the world it would take me months and months and probably after-school tutoring just to get a clue. 60 Minutes had a Republican lobbyist who spent the last four years in prison for being apart of some gigantic scandal in Washington. I could hardly tell you more. Everything they referenced on the show was completely over my head. I now know what it feels like for someone who can't speak English to come to Canada and try to have a conversation with one of us. Brutal.

What do you get when you have director Martin Scorsese directing a documentary on your bands concert as well as history. Give up? A masterpiece. The Last Waltz had The Band play a concert with many, many special guests including Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond and Van Morrison. The documentary is 90% concert footage and 10% history and archive. The cinematography is devastatingly gorgeous, the feeling and vibe of the concert rings throughout the entire piece and is enough to move even the most hardened hipster into a state of awe. Though the filmmaking techniques that employed are powerful and beautiful they are never intrusive and leave room for total immersion into the experience of the concert.

Tell me this isnt amazing:

And the end of my week left me with yet another trip into the silly with The History Channels: When Aliens Attack. Amazing. The show pretty much takes the movie Independence Day and turns it into a real event. Begging important questions like: say, if aliens really do attack, will our missles and rockets be strong enough to break through their force fields? This is of course backed by interviews with countless experts spewing their knowledge on just how powerful these force fields may be. It was extremely entertaining and probably one of the least enlightening experiences of my life.

1 comment: